Installing the Discovery Service
Before You Begin
The first question you should ask is whether you need to install the DiscoveryService. If you're working in a non-Java environment, you may find it easier to build a selection page in a more native fashion, or you may find that the SP alone provides enough rudimentary support to get started.
If you do decide to install it, you'll primarily need to collect the metadata sources that will contain the IdPs that users will select from. If you're planning to use SAML 2.0 or other protocols not supported by the old WAYF model, you may also need to provide metadata about your SP(s) to enable the DS to safely interact with the SP.
No explicit configuration to select the right protocol is needed.
Performing the Install
The Shibboleth Discovery Service, version 1.1.3, is a standard Java web application.
- Download and decompress the Discovery Service package from the Shibboleth Download site
- Change into the newly created distribution directory.
- Endorse Xerces and Xalan by copying the contents of the endorsed directory to the appropriate place on the web Server (for tomcat this is $TOMCAT_ROOT\common\endorsed).
- Run either install.sh (on Unix systems) or install.bat (on Windows systems) as a suitably authorized user user. This user must have the ability to create the Discovery Service home directory identified in the previous step.
- Configure the Discovery Service to point to the metadata sources you identified above as described here.
- Deploy the Discovery Service WAR file, located in the Discovery Service's Home directory.
- Further Configuration is described here.