Shibboleth consists of several individual components: the identity provider (IdP), service provider (SP), and discovery service (DS). You may choose to deploy one or more of these components depending on your needs. The instructions listed here only cover installation of the components. You must configure the software after installation.
You should always install the most recent release of any software component.
Before you begin
- Prior to installation you should review the Understanding Shibboleth documentation and the introduction to the message flows.
- For upgrades, you should review the pages on important changes that may be required to upgrade safely. Links can be found below.
- If you have questions during installation you should (in this order):
- If you are upgrading an IdP or SP which is registered with a federation, you should contact the federation operators, give them access to the new metadata for the entity, and tell them what version of the software you have installed. (Otherwise, they have no way of knowing that you have changed your configuration, and will continue to include your old metadata in any federation metadata aggregate which they publish.)
- After installation, you should also subscribe to the Shibboleth Announcement mailing list. This is where announcements about new releases, end-of-life of past releases, and security advisories are distributed.
All software, including archived releases, is available from http://shibboleth.net/downloads/ and each release is accompanied by a detached PGP signature using one of the keys listed in the project's KEYS file.