Specifications & Architecture:
The formal specifications that define how Shibboleth works span a number of documents. Shibboleth is primarily built on the SAML standard as defined by the OASIS SSTCworking group. Shibboleth also has formal profile and conformance documents that define additional constraints on top of the base standard.
- Shibboleth Protocol Specification
- Shibboleth Conformance Specification
- SAML 1.1 Assertions, bindings, etc.
- SAML 2.0 Metadata
- SAML 1.x Metadata Profile
- SAML 2.0 Metadata Interoperability Profile
- Shibboleth Metadata Extensions
Deployment Profiles, Best Practices, Etc:
In addition to these standards, note that within specific communities of use, additional profiles may be defined to further constrain options, define attributes, etc. People are welcome to maintain pointers to those here.