Identity Provider Installation
The Shibboleth Identity Provider is responsible for supplying information about users at a domain to relying parties protected by service providers. Installation of the provider should be followed by configuration for and testing with a federation or TestShib.
- Platform Recommendations: Recommendations on hardware/software to run a Shibboleth IdP for testing and production.
- Install in Apache and Tomcat: The standard installation approach for a Shibboleth IdP.
- Install in Debian Tomcat only or with Apache and Tomcat: Provided by SWITCH.
- Install in SuSE 10.0: Provided by Wolfgang Hommel of the Leibniz Supercomputing Center
- Install in Tomcat Alone: The Identity Provider can also run entirely in a Java Servlet Container. Some control over PKI and authentication is exchanged for a simpler installation.
Service Provider Installation
Much of the detailed platform-specific material here is now out of date and is not maintained at this point. The Shibboleth 2.0 documentation is more accurate and may be a better starting point for basic build instructions than this older material.
The Shibboleth Service Provider communicates with identity providers to discover information about users trying to access resources it protect. Installation of the provider should be followed by configuration for and testing with a federation or TestShib.
- Linux: Install the SP on most distributions of Linux.
- Mac OS X: Install the SP on Mac OS X 10.3 or higher.
- Solaris: Install the SP on 32-bit Solaris 2.8 or other, unsupported versions.
- Windows: Install the SP under IIS or Apache on Windows
- Building Shibboleth: Instructions on how to download and build Shibboleth components
Other Installation Instructions
- Bilateral Deployment: Deploy an IdP and SP that communicate directly with each other rather than a federation
- Alternate Environments: Shibboleth deployment instructions for unsupported environments
- Discovery Service: Instructions on how to build and deploy the prototype Discovery Service built by SDSS and the Shibboleth project. Many other excellent Discovery Services have been designed by the Shibboleth community.